Sunday, May 22, 2011

F is for Florence

It's official: I am in LOVE with Florence. The day we stepped off of the train, got to our hotel, and walked to the river, I almost cried. It was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever witnessed. It was one of those moments where I needed someone to pinch (or really, slap) me to convince me I was there. That night we walked around, enjoyed the sights and architecture, and then we ended up in this little piazza where a small band was playing. I was wearing a long big skirt, and was having fun dancing along. They started to play a paso doble/Spanish sounding song, and I was waving my skirt around like a matador. Out of nowhere, this middle-aged guy comes running over, fingers to his head like a bull. He started to dance with me, and it was hilarious! He was from Australia, and was showing me where his daughters were and how embarrassed they were that he was causing a scene. Because really, no one else was dancing, and everyone was watching us. Good thing I HATE attention ;)

I'm loving the art we have been able to see, and I have also been loving the food. Our second night in Florence, we went to this restaurant that was near our hotel, and I may or may not have had a spiritual experience. (I know dad will hate that I keep saying that . . . but get used to it, old man!) I had a gnocchi with parmesan, sage and butter. I die. It was soooooooo incredible. I also got some white beans with olive oil, and black truffle ice cream for dessert. It was so fantastic I can't even handle it.

Well, all in all, Florence is more incredible than I ever imagined it could be. I want to go back already. Actually, I want to go back with a husband, it was so romantic. I will post pictures sometime soon, I promise. Next stop? Venice!

1 comment:

Mom said...

OK . . . so you originally said your dance partner from Australia was an "old man", and now he's "middle-aged". Makes me wonder where you think your parents fit . . . ;)
Just kidding - Glad you're having so much fun!!!!