Friday, May 13, 2011

J is for Jen in Rome



I am FINALLY here! I got in Thursday morning, and I literally could not grasp where I was at, what what going to happen, and for how long I get to be there. I managed to get myself to the apartments were are staying in, and on the train ride, I kept looking out the window and being unable to connect the fact that I was in Italy. Yeah, it was pretty, but it meant very little to me at the time. I think that flying sort of disconnects me from my understanding of location. If I were to take a train from Provo, then a boat, and then a car or train or something to Italy, I would recognize this more. But no, I get into one big long thing and get off of it somewhere new, with no way of knowing if they actually took me to the right place.

Well, it became very real for me once I stepped inside the Pantheon with my group. I have been looking at pictures of this for years and years, and I was not prepared for the experience I was about to have. I walked inside, and looked up, and started to cry (just a little, nothing too embarrasing). It was so much more than any picture could show. It was awe-inspiring and spiritual for me. I realized where I was, and the gravity of how much history I was about to encounter just took me aback.



That day we also visited the Trevi fountain, where I most definitely threw in a couple of coins and made some wishes. One came true as I had my first gelato of the trip (melone flavored . . . it was perfect).

Today (Friday) we had a crazy long day, but it was fantastic! We got to see the Colosseum (where I had another "Is this for real?" moment), the Roman Forum, many columns, Michelangelo's "Moses", and the Borghese Palace, which has some incredible pieces (the Bernini's were my favorite). I also took a mini nap on the side of some huge building on the grass, which we found out was not open to the public. The gate was open, what were we SUPPOSED to do, let that grass go untouched? Ok, it could hardly be called grass, but the area was pretty and we were done walking.

So Italy is amazing, I'm having the time of my life, I'm actually taking pictures (which you will just have to wait about 5 weeks for! But I promise I will fill in these posts!), I'm making friends, and I am excited for every single day!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thanks for the wonderful update.Your walking into the Partheon sounds like Mom walking under the train tunnel at Disneyland. Some fatherly advice - as you contemplate the adage "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" keep telling yourself that this is false doctrine written by the same marketing director who wrote, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". :-) Ciao